This cornmeal-crusted catfish is a traditional & easy Southern favorite. Sweet, moist & delicate, it fries up beautifully and leaves lots of elbow room for your seasonings.
Prep Time: 0 hours, 10 minutes | Cook Time: 0 hours, 5 minutes | Total Time: 0 hours, 15 minutes | Serves: 6-8
- 1 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper (or red pepper)
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 3 tsp Seasoning salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 10-12 Catfish fillets
- Oil (for frying)
- In a shallow dish combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Dredge the fillets in the mixture and coat evenly.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or a Dutch oven, pour about 2 inches of oil; heat to 350°F.
- Fry the fillets in batches for about 5-6 minutes turning once until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.