cheesy hasselback potato gratin
hasselback-cut potatoes bathed in a creamy, cheesy, smoky sauce - easy, beautiful, and delicious
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min | Total Time: 1 hs 35 min | Serves: 8
- 8 Medium Yukon Gold potato, unpeeled (about 3 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1½ cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 4 oz Gouda cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- HEAT the oven to 400°F. Using a sharp knife, make crosswise cuts into the potatoes (1/8" to ¼" apart) almost all the way through but leave the bottoms intact so that the slices stay connected at the bottom. Arrange the potatoes in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Fan the slices of the potatoes open slightly.
- HEAT the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, flour and half the rosemary and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes or until the broth mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in the heavy cream, half the Gouda cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- POUR the broth mixture over the potatoes, making sure the mixture gets in between the slices. Cover the baking dish.
- BAKE for 40 minutes. Uncover the baking dish. Spoon the broth mixture from the bottom of the dish over the potatoes.
- BAKE for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining Gouda cheese. Bake for 5 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary.
TIP: To easily slice the potatoes, place 2 rulers or wooden spoons on either side of the potato to slice them evenly without cutting all the way through.