Chocolate Peppermint Bark Sandwich Cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Chocolate Baking Chips, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Chocolate Baking Chips, melted
- 18 Ghirardelli® Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. For the dough: Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in the 3/4 cup melted and cooled chocolate chips. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cookie cutters: Form the dough into two 5 inch discs. Place a disc on a lightly floured work surface, sprinkle flour on top and use rolling pin to roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into 1 1/2 inch circles or star shapes. Repeat with the second disc. After you roll out the second disc combine scraps from each and reroll.
- Bake for 15 minutes, switching the trays half way through if you are baking more than one tray at a time. Cool to room temperature. Once cookies have cooled, brush the undersides of each with the remaining melted chocolate. Place a peppermint square on top of half the cookies. Place a second cookie, melted chocolate side down on top making a sandwich. Let the chocolate harden, about 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Chocolate Brownies with Peppermint Bark
- 1-1/2 cups Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter (12 tablespoons)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 Ghirardelli® Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ chocolates, chopped into large chunks (for the brownies)
- 18 Ghirardelli® Peppermint Bark SQUARES™ chocolates, broken in to large chunks (about 8 pieces per square) (for the finishing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with foil and grease with pan spray. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a gentle simmer. Put the 60% chips and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over (but not touching) the simmering water. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the better is melted and both ingredients are completely combined. Turn off the heat and leave the bowl over the warm water. Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and whisk together gently. With a spatula, fold in the flour. Immediately pour ½ the mixture into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly. Next, sprinkle the chopped peppermint bark over the batter and then pour the remaining batter over this. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The center should be fudgy but not dry. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place Peppermint Bark chunks on top of warm brownies and allow them to soften for 1 minute. Using a spatula, gently swirl the melting Peppermint Bark to create swirls of melted chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Trim the 4 edges of the brownies by 1/4 inch. And cut into 18 squares.